See how to Care for Your Smile as You Age with Our Orthodontist in Rocky Point
It’s no secret the way your body changes as you get older. From childhood, to your teens, to young adults and beyond, your body continues to grow and change throughout each walk of life and it’s important that you keep up! One part of your overall health that changes as you age is your dental health, constantly adjusting to the foods and drinks you consume, as well as your daily dental routine and bi-annual visits to our office.
Unfortunately, without maintaining a routine for your dental care, you’re at a higher risk for dental issues that affect your teeth and gums down the road. See how, with the help of our orthodontist in Rocky Point, our team can strengthen and protect your smile, so you have one less thing to worry about in the future.
Common Oral Health Problems in Adults
As you get older, you may not think that it’s pertinent to address any dental problems because you believe nothing is wrong or that it’s something that can wait. We highly encourage to kick that mindset to the curb! Waiting to address any dental issues will only lead to further dental issues sooner than you think.
These are the most common oral health problems that adults face:
• Tooth Decay: 1 in 5 adults over the age of 65 have untreated tooth decay
• Gum Disease: About 68% of adults over the age of 65 suffer from gum disease
• Tooth Loss: Nearly 1 in 5 adults aged 65 or older have lost ALL their teeth and the percentages rise the higher the age
• Oral Cancer: Median age at diagnosis is around 62 years
What Adults Should Do to Maintain Good Oral Health
Everyone can keep their natural teeth for a lifetime! By following these helpful but simple steps, your dental health will thrive for years to come:
• Brush your teeth twice a day, every day, with fluoride toothpaste
• Floss at least once a day, but the benefits will show if you floss after each meal
• Visit our office for your bi-annual cleanings, exams, and x-rays so we can monitor your teeth and gums to stop any issues before they get worse
• Quit bad habits like smoking and other tobacco use
• Limit or quit consumption of alcoholic drinks
• Align your diet with how it affects your dental health
• Discuss how any medication may be affecting your oral health if you’re experiencing side effects like dry mouth
• And much more!
You and your smile deserve the best care possible and that’s what our orthodontist in Rocky Point is here to do. Call our office at (631) 744-8400 and our team will help you pick the best date and time for your appointment. Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions or concerns you have for your smile—we’re here to help.